Friday, April 9, 2010

The Worst Place to Vacation

Last year about this time me and my grandma decided to go to Liberal, Kansas. My mom was a travel nurse at the time and that is where she was stationed. At the time my sister and her baby girl, Audrey, were living with my mom. It was my niece’s first birthday and my grandma and I didn’t want to miss it. We decided to drive nine hours without telling anyone to surprise my sister and Audrey. Kansas was all right until after Wichita. Then everything after that was pretty shitty. Kansas highways are only one lane and when you pass someone it is a gamble every time. It felt like every time I did pass someone that I was going to go head first into an oncoming car or semi truck going upward to 80 miles an hour. When we finally came to the beginning of town there was this wretched stench that burned your nose and almost made you lose your lunch instantly. I found out later the Liberal had a meat processing plant. If you have ever been in a ten mile radius of one of these meat processing plants you know what I am talking about. I was excited to finally get to the house that my mom was living in because I hadn’t seen my niece in three or four months. Seeing my family that I hadn’t seen in a while was the only plus side of being in Liberal, Kansas. If you don’t know any one that lives there my suggestion is to steer clear of this place, Kansas all together actually. The whole town seemed to die at about 9 pm. The only thing to do there was to go to Wall-Mart and I didn’t have that much money so that didn’t go over so well. They don’t even sell hard alcohol in this county. I had to get drunk on low grade beer the whole time that I was there so that I wouldn’t pull the eyes out of my sockets from boredom. It wouldn’t have been so bad if outside would have been pleasant to look at. Instead it was flat and boring for miles around. When we left a week later, it seemed like a lot longer though, I was never happier to see the hills and trees of Missouri.

No comments:

Post a Comment