Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My Grandma

My grandma is going to the hospital today to have surgery on her knee. She has already had surgery on one of her knees. I shouldn’t be that worried about her because it isn’t a major surgery but every time that she goes under the knife I am afraid that she will never come out of it. Since she has C.O.P.D. and a pacemaker there can be complications every time the anesthesiologist puts her out. She is probably the craziest person in my family and this is one of the reasons I love her as much as I do. You’ll also never find a person with a bigger heart than her. She would rather be dirt poor than have anyone around her go hungry or unhappy.
Her parents moved here from Germany in the late 1930’s. This was about the time that my grandma was born. Her parents came to America with hardly any money in their pockets. Her dad was still able to build a farm in Willard, MO. Grandma has one out of two siblings that are still living. The living sibling, her sister Vonda, has owned hotels and many houses that she has flipped on the market to make a substantial amount of money for herself. My grandma’s bother who died a few years ago was a highway patrolman. My grandmother’s parents raised three good, hard working people. Although my grandma dropped out of high school she has had many jobs. I don’t think she can enjoy a day that she doesn’t work. The last time that she was set up with a bad knee she started to go a little bonkers.
My grandma has lived in almost every state in the continental United States. Finding work where ever she went. She has told me some crazy stories about how her and my grandpa would just pick up and move hundreds of miles to get to the next job that was waiting for them to do. They moved from Missouri to Wisconsin to rebuild a farm that had become out of service. She is the only female that I know of that has been hay bailin. If you have ever been hay bailin you would know how hard that this task is.
After my grandpa died of a heart attack when my mom was nine, my grandma was forced to raise to little girls on her own. She would sometimes work three jobs just to keep the bills paid and food on the table. I have no idea how tough that would be I have only ever had one job at a time and that was sometimes overwhelming. All in all she did a swell job of raising her girls; they both are fairly successful in their own way. My mom is a registered nurse and my aunt Rhonda runs an apartment complex and rents out houses to people.
My grandma is a very religious person who wants the best and tries to instill good values in everyone that she comes in contact with. She goes to church every Sunday that she gets a chance to. Even if she is so broke that she can’t put gas in her car she will give the church her tithes or more than is asked for. Her spirituality is a big portion of her charm.
She might drive me crazy sometimes because I lived with her for most of my life. You could say that she is like a second mom to me. She is one of the most important persons in my life and if I were to loose her it would break me in a way that I have never felt before. So grandma please come out of this surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment